Levsin / Prevident 5000
At your appointment you were given 1 tablet to be taken before your next appointment. This medication is designed to dry the mouth, making it easier to keep the teeth dry while appliances are being placed. You should know the following:
- DO NOT TAKE THESE IF YOU ARE PREGNANT OR NURSING
- Contact lenses should not be worn in conjunction with this medication since it may also reduce tear production.
- Place the pill under the tongue and allow it to dissolve.
- Take at least 1 hour before appointment. You may eat a light meal before you take the pill but do not eat or drink anything after taking the pill.
- Over the counter medication can be taken in conjunction with Levsin (hyoscyamine-sulfate).
Prevident 5000 is prescription level fluoride toothpaste, which Dr. Defay recommends that all patients use while in treatment. The fluoride makes the enamel of the tooth stronger and more resistant to decay and decalcification.
How to use Prevident 5000:
- Use once daily, preferably at bedtime. This will replace the use of regular toothpaste at night.
- Apply a thin ribbon of Prevident to the toothbrush and brush thoroughly for 2 minutes.
- Adult should not rinse once they are done brushing. Patients ages 6-16 should rinse thoroughly. DO NOT SWALLOW.
- Do not eat or drink for a minimum of 30 minutes after application.
- Prevident is safe to use in addition to ingested fluoride (fluoride pills).
Prevident 5000 can be purchased in the office or at a local pharmacy.